one family's yearlong dare to live their dreams

What Will You Do With Your One Wild & Precious Life?

Remember when you were a kid and you played and played for hours and time didn’t exist? You were lost, blissfully lost, in the flow of life. Be there for a moment. Small feet in the sand. Sound of the surf. Or maybe just you and a sketch book, graphite on your fingertips. Linger there. Listen for messages.

Going back to the kingdom of childhood is one way to retrieve a dream of who you might become, or who you always were but somehow left behind. You lived completely by your nature. Barefoot, preferably. When a fancy took hold, time became elastic or disappeared altogether like wonder bubbles hitting the pavement.

Lately I’ve been tending the garden of my dreams. I’m keeping Mary Oliver’s famous question in mind about my one wild and precious life. It makes me quiver, as good questions do. It keeps me honest. I see that I’ve got some weeding to do. I need to yank out any duds and make space for the seedlings and tight sweet buds that have been there all along.

One of the great things about creating this blog is that I have heard from so many of you about how our posts have made you think and dream and question and take action in your own lives. Ultimately this blog is not just about me and Michael and our family. It’s about you. What would you do with a year dedicated to dream time? One of you called this blog “a mirror.” One of you took me aside yesterday and whispered, “You inspired us. We’re going out West for a while, just as we always meant to do. We’ll hike and roam for weeks on end.” I’m beaming for you.

Meanwhile, take the invitation. Go back to “that jewel beyond all price, that treasure house of memories.” That’s Rilke on childhood. If you feel like it, tell me what you find there. Seeds await.

P.S. We dig getting your emails! But we have a hunch that fellow readers would like to hear your thoughts as well. If you receive this blog by email, click on the title next time you’re inspired to respond. That will take you to the page where you can post a comment right on the blog for all to see and enjoy. We’ll love you for trying!

Share |

8 Responses to “What Will You Do With Your One Wild & Precious Life?”

1. laura weiss says:

Wendy and Michael,
    You are holding the lamp for many of us and are bringing your vibrancy and intentions to us all.
    I have always used the slogan “DON’T POSTPONE JOY” and I am bringing more and
    more dreams into the forefront with your inspired tomes! Love to both of you! Laura

• Wendy says:

I’ve always loved your slogan, Laura! You’re one of the most inspirational people I know, so I’m glad we can give a little bit back to you. Let’s keep fanning the flames for each other.
      Love,
      Wendy

• laura weiss says:

I love the idea of fire and wings…somehow the image of a huge heart on fire with wings…says it all to me!!!
        Keep those postings coming!xoL

• Wendy says:

Ooh, I like that too, Laura. Maybe you’ve found a logo for Party of 4! We will absolutely keep the posts coming. Thank you!

2. Bethany says:

When Party of 4 arrives in my inbox, I click on it immediately because I know I can count on it to explode that constellation of unexamined distractions that keep me feeling so lost, or blocked, or confused. The most recent post’s references to childhood were so timely. I’m going to take out a pen and make a list called: Who I Was When I Was 8. And another called Who I Was When I Was 12. And so on. Because I remember that kid. She was so open, so curious, so hopeful!

3. laura weiss says:

Once again…the synchonicity of this passage..(as well as Michaels) speaks to us…It shows that regardless of age…family status…and individual personas that we are all connected.
    As your two children rise up and serve as focal points at the center of your wheel..so does the direction of our young adult children as they walk off into their own lives. We stand once again
    back at the canvas…paints on the table in front of us each ready to pick up the brush and begin anew…..

4. Julie says:

A few years ago, maybe 5 or 6 years ago, because of a series of events in my life, I arrived at a crossroads. In one direction was to stay the course, continue working at a job I had had for 14 years, continue living in NYC, in the same apartment I had been living in for 13 years, etc. … although the word \same\ comes to mind so frequently to describe that direction, we, of course never stay the same, even if we are in one job or place for a lifetime. Anyway, in the other direction at this crossroad was to leave all of that behind and move to upstate NY. I took the move. At first it seemed good until I was alone and grappling with an identity crisis as well as financial uncertainty. Using the refuge of yoga, through meditation and mantra recitation, I constantly reminded myself to have faith, to let go of fear and worry, and eventually I made my way! I felt as though I had \re-made\ my life into whatever I wanted it to be. It was harder than I thought it would be, both letting go of the old and familiar, as well figuring out the new and different. But that experience taught me that the hard stuff is essential, and to really effect some change on ourselves may require hard work. But the end result is invaluable, to feel free, to feel that you can re-form your life, that there are no limitations except those that are self-imposed.

• Wendy says:

Wow, Julie, I am so inspired by your story. What you did was incredibly brave. Learning to let go of those fears about financial security, and learning to trust the process of forging a new identity and life for yourself – that’s some of the most difficult yet important work you could possibly do. Knowing you and seeing you now in this life that you have created, it seems so right for you. You’re shining in your own light. You were right to have faith and surrender and trust the process. Thank you so much for sharing your story here. I have yet more reasons to admire and cherish you as an amazing friend and human!
      Love,